- Continuing foul-ups in high places regarding the recent hurricanes.
- Indictments in another high place.
- Rumors of indictments in more high places in the investigation into the outing of Valerie Plame.
- A suggestion from another high place that aborting all African-American babies would reduce the crime rate.
- The declaration that the foremost qualification of the latest Supreme Court nominee is not her legal expertise or her wisdom, but “her heart,” which the country is required to accept on the word of the man in the highest place of all – the one who said the U.S. had to go to war because of WMDs.
Crabby Old Lady has been a-sitting and a-pondering on these and dozens of other questionable acts from on high that involve lying, misdirection, cheating, chiseling, secrecy, greed, cronyism, prejudice, cover-ups, sloth and other sins (if not provable crimes) in high places - all delivered on the evening news in code to “the base” with winks, smirks and self-satisfied posturing.
By comparison, the citizenry is positively angelic.
The experts who study aging tell us that in our later years, self-centeredness commonly declines. Acquisitiveness decreases too, while concern for the well-being of the future increases and wisdom begins to emerge.
These attributes are in direct opposition to the behavior of the people currently in high places - people who are all on the downward slope of life.
So here is Crabby’s question: are these people who would leave no tree uncut for their children, no speck of air unpolluted, no dollar unpocketed, freaks of nature? Are they untouched, in their approaching dotage, by the age-old gifts to elders of maturity, responsibility and wisdom?