« The Bear Encounter | Main | Colonoscopy »

Friday, 20 March 2015

Alzheimer's Finale

[EDITOR'S NOTE: It was in 2007 that I received the first story from William Weatherstone. It and subsequent stories were about his lifelong career as a long-haul trucker.

Two years later, however, Bill's stories took a hearbreaking turn. His wife of many decades became afflicted with Alzheimer's disease and from that point forward, with painful honesty and boundless love for Muriel, Bill has told us how it goes when this happens to beloved spouse.

You can find all his remarkable stories starting here and they are worth your time. This, below, is the most recent.]

By Old Bill Weatherstone who blogs at The Diesel Gypsy

To: The Golden Birches Terrace, Blind River, Ontario.

From: William & Muriel Weatherstone, Blind River, Ontario, (formerly of Elliot Lake, Ontario)

To Whom It May Concern:

This is a note of appreciation.

My wife Muriel has been a resident at your home for a year and a half now, and I want you to know that the service and attention that you provide for us is the best in the North Country.

It has been almost eight years since entering into this dreaded disease. Not knowing anything about what we were entering, I had to get myself into high gear researching what to expect. It was certainly a shocking introduction.

I found that I had three choices and later, five to choose from. During that time the news channels were showing the abuse that residents were receiving in nursing homes and even deaths as a result.

It scared the crap out of me.

I started investigating seriously about my options. I researched every location that I was allowed to apply for including just how far I would have to travel or move to, as well as the staff at all locations.

The radius was about 150 miles. The first inspection was impressive at first glance but me being function before fashion, I delved deeply into staff and then turned them down.

The second inspection was about 100 miles away and after a tour of the facilities I got the impression that they were still living in the late 1800s. That location was discarded as well.

In the meantime, I needed a location for our waiting for acceptance into a home with connection to a hospital. A private location was found in Elliot Lake and my wife was moved in and looked after with great attention.

Next I researched all other options even outside our area. My final decision was made to wait for acceptance into your Golden Birches Terrace. Your service is so good it turned into a six year wait.

I have yet to find a complaint (even trivial) against your service. Also I may add that I have in my daily visits not come across any arguments within the staff. It is a comforting sight for me knowing that you offer the best one could ask for in care and service.

I place my wife of over 50 years in your most capable hands relieving me of tons of stress.

I thank you so much,
Wm. Weatherstone for Muriel (Murt) Weatherstone

[INVITATION: All elders, 50 and older, are welcome to submit stories for this blog. They can be fiction, non-fiction, poetry, memoir, etc. Please read instructions for submitting.]

Posted by Ronni Bennett at 05:30 AM | Permalink | Email this post


Sounds like a story with a good ending so far. My guess is that the new place is locally owned and not owned by a chain.
Good for you!

Terribly tough decisions to make...nice that the effort you put forth proved to be worth it.

Blessings for comfort and peace on this final journey.

I completely appreciate your search for function over fashion. It speaks volumes for a place when there is a six year wait. What consideration you showed for your wife in waiting it out for the best place for her. Best wishes to the both of you.

The comments to this entry are closed.